Not too long ago my great grandma, Allie Reheis, moved out of her home in downtown Mesa. She has 46 years of memories in this home. I stopped by the old house a while ago to take some photos so that we can remember it long after it's gone. My only regret is that I didn't take these before she moved out. The house just isn't the same now that it is empty. I wanted to write down a few memories that I have from this cute little home on Lazona.
I remember....
a house packed full of relatives on Christmas Eve
Santa's visits
singing the Santa in the helicopter song (only to be interrupted)
swinging on grandma's backyard swing set
collecting pecans off the ground under the towering pecan trees
sitting on the back porch
sugar cookies
divinity candy
grandma always offering one more helping of whatever she was serving
grandma's doll collection
the dancing Santa doll
coming over to "set" grandma's hair when I was in beauty school
grandma playing tom tinker with Kai and Calvin on the back porch
cut grapefruits to keep the cats away
stopping by for her to see all the great grandkids (and Hallie actually sitting on her lap)
the address you can't help but remember 123

2 comments:
love this. so special.
Have you ever heard the country song, "The House that Built Me?" by Miranda Lambert? It reminds me of this old house. Very true, and touching song.
LOVE the pictures. When we were in Georgia a few weeks ago, we tried to go by my great grandmothers old home and take some pictures, but the house had changed so much, I didn't even take any. You are right. It's just not the same when they don't live there anymore. :o(
Post a Comment